Wednesday, June 15, 2011

And The Winner Is...

Truth is, if you are training hard at Codella Academy and a part of Team Renzo Gracie you're already a winner!!
Since that already is a given and without any further delay, Prof. Mike Codella, author Mike Mongelli and I were all in agreement and we selected poster "100deuce" as the winner of the essay response contest!! Here is the comment he posted:

 100deuce said..I feel the perception of thought changes over time, not the balance of "thinking or feeling". We all have one dollar of concentration to put towards a technique. For example , my triangle that I could never pull off. I put 90 cents into the four steps of getting my leg over my opponents shoulder, controlling the other arm, locking my legs and pulling the head. So much thought and emphasis leaves 10 cents for any problems, adjustments or counters. Professor Mike, through years of practice and thousands of successful triangles, puts 5 cents into the same four steps. This action is more muscle reflex then technique. He now has 95 cents of concentration left to think of where my body is. Does he have to adjust or block a counter. He has thought left over to think of two or three further steps depending on my reactions. This extra room of thought now makes it seem like he's just feeling his position rather then having to deliberately think of each step. I believe with training and experience the required thought for each step diminishes and leaves room for our mind to adapt to a situation, however still thinking. I beleave the statement of "no mind" would be better said as "all mind". The technique needed so little effort that we still have our dollars worth of concentration left to see the smallest detail to make the technique more effective.

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to say thank you to Mike Mongelli for his intelligent and insightful article, and all those whose posted comments, karate Mike, Emerson, and "Whachamacallit" Mike and of course our winner, 100deuce! That was an awesomr description you provided!!

    ReplyDelete